We have a thriving Government Relations Practice Group. We advise and represent a number of government agencies on a vast array of subjects. From advising our government clients on everyday operational issues to drafting and reviewing legislation to representing them in litigation, we strive to meet all of the needs of our public sector clients.
For more than 20 years, the governmental law attorneys at Means Gillis Law, PC, have been providing legal counsel and litigation services to government entities and officials in Alabama and Georgia. We assist government units and departments with personnel matters, legislative matters, business transactions, and legal defense of liability claims.
Our government law attorneys serve as general counsel or as special co-counsel to state and municipal government, including city governments, individual government departments, county governing boards, legislative subcommittees, sheriff’s departments and police departments, and solid waste authorities.
Government Law Attorneys with Experience
The governmental law attorneys at Means Gillis Law, PC, include former judges, judicial law clerks, staff assistants to United States Congress members, and assistant attorney general.
Government Law Clients
Over the years, our public sector clients have included:
- Alabama House of Representatives
- Governor of Alabama
- Alabama Department of Youth Services
- City of Birmingham, Alabama
- Birmingham Board of Education
- City of Montgomery, Alabama
- Montgomery County, Alabama
- Montgomery County, Alabama Probate Court
- Montgomery County, Alabama Sheriff’s Department
- Sumter County Board of Education
- Choctaw County Board of Education
- The East Central Alabama Solid Waste Disposal Authority
- National Black Caucus of State Legislators
- Fayette County, Georgia Sheriff’s Department
- Clayton County, Georgia
- City of East Point, Georgia
- City of Augusta, Georgia
The government law attorneys at Means Gillis Law, PC, provide legal counsel to state, city, and municipal governments on personnel matters to prevent employment problems and to defend against employment-related litigation, including:
- Hiring decisions, employee and union contract negotiations, and contract disputes
- Employee compensation and personnel policy development
- Training of administrators and staff
- Employee discipline and due process claims
- Termination decisions
- Employee and union grievances and grievance proceedings
- Police officer suspensions and grievances
The government law attorneys at Means Gillis Law, PC, provide legal opinions on the legality and constitutionality of bills under consideration by legislative subcommittees and governmental authorities, and advise government units when proposed business practices violate state or federal laws.
Government Contracts and Business Transactions
In our role as general counsel, our governmental lawyers handle routine government legal transactions, advising on business practices and bidding policies, reviewing and negotiating contracts, and protecting the interests of local and state government.
Our attorneys have considerable experience representing city, county, and regional solid waste authorities in connection with solid waste transfer station construction and financing, landfill sitting and approvals, and inter-governmental agreements.
Litigation Defense of Government Entities
We work proactively with government clients to avoid costly litigation, but when lawsuits arise, our lawyers are able defenders in the courtroom on such issues as:
- Defense on employment discrimination charges and harassment charges
- Violations of the Open Meetings Act
- Violations of the Freedom of Information Act
- Civil rights litigation
- Charges of police brutality brought by the public
- Lawsuits brought by the public against sheriffs and police
- Defense of personal injury lawsuits and defense of premises liability claims